Welcome to the West Michigan Coyotes. We are a MTB racing team of student-athletes Grades 6-12 from across West Michigan. As of 2019, we have members from across the area, as far north as Grant, south to Sturgis and along the corridor from Grand Rapids to Muskegon (including Forest Hills, EGR, Spring Lake and Grand Haven). We abide by three principles:
- Mountain biking is a great sport for everyone. Starting while you’re still in middle school or high school sets you up for a lifetime of fun in the woods.
- Racing is fun, and racing together is even more fun. Our team, while competitive and excited to win a team championship some day, really revolves around having a good time on your bike.
- Sportsmanship is contagious.
It’s the biggest race in Michigan. It’s famously popular and more famously crowded. We love it, but complain about its imperfections. It’s a party in the woods with 5,500 of your best cycling friends, sometimes in the middle of the race. There are people handing out bacon, bananas, and beverages. Iceman 2019 was a race against the conditions as much as anything. It’s different every year but it’s never boring.
This year it rained, snowed, hailed, froze and thawed before, during and after the race. We had 4″ of snow, all of which melted. Then, during the Juniors and Pros it snowed and hailed a bit for good measure. There were miles of peanut butter mud, and miles of beautiful hard packed VASA XC Ski trail. Hills (full of walkers to dodge), a start venue that included an airport runway, the famous paved road crossing at Williamsburg Rd., and in the midst of it all, a dozen Coyotes finished the Iceman Cometh Challenge in 2019.
This year’s challenging course pushed everyone to the brink both mentally and physically. It also brought out their best and allowed the team to cap their race season successfully on the biggest stage Michigan has to offer. Coyotes – If I missed you on the racer list below, drop us an email and we’ll get it rectified quickly!
Coyotes Icemen / Icewomen
- Leorah Roeber – 6th Place – Junior Women 9-14 – 4:12:20
- Haydon Frehr – 12th Place – Junior Men 9-14 – 3:11:39
- Drake Marine – 14th Place – Junior Men 9-14 – 3:16:14
- Gage Bouwman – 23rd Place – Junior Men 9-14 – 3:34:30
- Nicholas Budden – 26th Place – Junior Men 15-16 – 3:24:53
- Isaiah Roeber – 29th Place – Junior Men 9-14 – 4:14:36
- Gavin Cunningham – 33rd Place – Junior Men 15-16 – 4:04:45
Slush Cup Coyotes
- Marley Marine – 2nd Place – Girls 10-Under – 46:08
- River Bouwman – 3rd Place – Girls 10-Under – 47:08
- Olivia Miller – 4th Place – Girls 11-12 – 40:39
- Eli Zuelke – 12th Place – Boys 11-12 – 42:17
- Hale Phillips – 22nd Place – Boys 13-14 – 45:47
THANK YOU Sponsors!
Finally, a huge thank you to our sponsors. This whole team is paid for by your donations. THANK YOU!
Jason Ryan – State Farm Insurance Agent
Central District Cyclery
Breakaway Bicycles and Fitness GH/Muskegon
Garrison Dental Solutions | Sectional Matrix System | Composi-Tight
Vie ƐƖ Kustom Apparel
West Michigan Coast Riders
MiSCA Michigan Scholastic Cycling Association
Joe D. Arbutante D.D.S. Family & Cosmetic Dentistry